Date and chocolate truffles
Gluten and dairy free! These truffles go down well with everybody! They're great for a healthy snack.
- 1 large cup of pitted dates
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup almonds ground or whole
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp almond essence optional
- 1 tsp honey
- 3 tbsp cocoa or better about 3dsp cocoa and 70g of dark chocolate Fair Trade 60+% cocoa!
- Gently soften the dates by simmering in about a 1/4 cup of water. How much water will depend on how dry the dates are so adjust accordingly. The dates need to be nice and soft and all the water absorbed. Make sure all stones are removed. Blitz all the nuts in a food processor then add all the other ingredients. If using chocolate melt in a bowl over the pan of simmering dates. Blitz until all the ingredients are nicely blended.
- Roll into balls – tip have a bowl of water next to you so that you can do so with wet fingers. Finally roll in desiccated coconut, ground almond, cocoa or ground gooji berries.
- Note: You can adjust the ratio of walnuts and almonds or make up the quantities with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds or mixed nuts.