Nutritional Therapy FAQs

What is the difference between Nutritional Therapists, Dieticians & Nutritionists?

There are many different professions working within the broad field of nutrition. Only practitioners in Nutritional Therapy and dieticians are trained in clinical practice to give one-to-one personal advice.

Nutritional therapists

Nutritional therapy practitioners are fully independent professionals who assess the whole health status of the individual and take account of the unique dietary and nutritional needs of their clients.  They recognize the biochemical individuality and the potential flaws in transferring population guidelines to recommendations for optimising individual health.

They often work with clients who have chronic health problems that conventional medicine sometimes finds difficult to treat. These include allergies, digestive and bowel disorders, hormonal imbalances, fatigue, depression or stress, auto-immune conditions, migraine and skin disorders. Increasingly, parents with an overweight child and/or a child with learning and behavioural difficulties may seek to support their child with nutritional therapy.


Dietitians work principally in the National Health Service and are regulated by the Health Professions Council.  A dietician uses the science of nutrition to devise eating plans for patients with various medical conditions. Their evidence is based on national dietary guidelines for a ‘normal’ population.  They work to promote good health by helping to facilitate a positive change in food choices amongst individuals, groups and communities based on these guidelines. They may also specialise in the field of artificial nutrition support, or work in the medical nutrition industry or in private practice.


Nutrition scientists (nutritionists) often work outside of the clinical context, in research, industry or education. The Nutrition Society is a learned society whose aim is to advance the scientific study of nutrition and its application to the maintenance of human and animal health. There is a national voluntary register for nutritionists who are qualified to provide general information about food and healthy eating but are not trained in clinical practice or to give specific information about individual therapeutic diets.

What is BANT?

BANT is the UK’s professional body for Nutritional Therapists and those working in the nutrition profession.  It represents the seal of excellence for nutrition health professionals in promoting the highest standards of education, training and qualification with Nutritional Therapy.  It also ensures that all members are fully insured and follow a strict code of practice.  For more information on BANT please go to:

What is CNHC?

The Complementary and Natural Health Care Council (CNHC) is the national voluntary regulator, developed with support from government funding, to ensure that it’s members offer a consistent, professional and safe experience to the public when seeking the advice of a qualified Nutritional Therapist. For more information on CNHC please go to

To book a consultation please call 07941 458 993 or use our online contact form